Thursday, July 23, 2009

I do want you to know

I think about you
From time to time
I know the price you pay
For putting it on the line

I know memories haunt you
From the blood that you shed
From the men you've taken down
From those that are now dead

For having crossed your path
With bad intentions in mind
I do want you to know
That is the way of our kind

I feel the uneasiness
Then I put it aside
I look back on you with love
And that strange pride

That wolves and predators have
We know what we do
And we know most of the others
Never seem to recognize

We are hunted too

****
****

That is not a good thing for them
They are on a fools path
And so I smile a simple smile
Because if it was out loud

It would sound like an almost evil laugh

I pray for you everyday
I see you in the trees and sky
I will brave it all the way through
For I can feel you looking through my eyes

Thank you for your courage
Be it by hand trigger or knife
We carry many soul banners on our staff
We carry many an ending of a life

So now it is we carry on
Down this walk down destiny's road
We strap our boots on one more time
We shoulder our packs and the load

To do what is necessary for the mission
This mission of art and heart and soul
We do it for the ones who may come after us
The ones with us and those from days of old

And if there comes a time
When it all goes down hard
It's not like they won't be standing
Knee deep in their own carnage

And only barely half way into our back yard

Be that literally
Or out on an open plain
For we are the inheritors of the wind
The ice the earth the rivers lakes and rain

We who know the thunder
We who know the lightning's way
For there are those among us
Who know the unknowable

Those who hear what the silence has to say

And it is humbling
Humbling to know death
I guess we'll just have
To keep track of it

Within each and every living breath



Neils
9:03 am
07/23/2009

No comments: